As an eighties kid, the recent series of Stranger Things has made me really nostalgic. Here are some of my fave things from the 1980s:
- BMX bikes (I was literally attached to mine)
- Telephones with dials that were plugged in with bendy wire
- Phone boxes which we actually used
- shell suits
- cassette tapes which were played on Walkmans
- the lack of internet and the need to actually be on time (no texting for being late)
- cars that had chokes that were pulled out enthusiastically to help the engines splutter into life
- VHS tapes for watching videos in incredibly poor quality
- Overhead projectors (with wipeable sheets)
- Cheap, plastic fly curtains that blew in the wind and never really kept the flies out on a hot day
What are your favourite things about the 1980s? Let me know in the comments. If you are too young to remember, then what are the 1980s things that intrigue you the most?
10 thoughts on “Things I miss about the 1980s”
How did we manage without mobile devices?!?!
Seems impossible these days haha.
The thing I miss the most about the 1980s is the music. I had one of the original Sony cassette Walkmans. I went all over town bopping to my music. I explained to my kids how you had to really like the cassette you were listening to because it wasn’t practical to carry around a box of tapes. LOL
Oh yes. I remember rewinding mine with a pencil when it got crumpled.
Ha ha. That was the worst sound in the world—when you heard that crunch when your favourite mixed tape that you spent a whole day making got caught in the cassette player. Ooh…that’s something else I miss…mixed tapes.
Commodore 64 – Daley thompson’s decathlon and multiple broken joysticks!
Confectionery before shrinkflation
Buying a pint for less than £1
A flat stomach
I would give anything for a flat stomach again.
I wasn’t born in the 80s, but as a 90s kid, many of these were around too. I remember I had a Walkman and a box of cassette tapes from my mom and I also had a ton of Disney and Scooby Doo VHS tapes. In school, a lot my teachers used the overhead projectors with those sheets.
Hehe yes good times indeed.