When I was a kid I used to love the cartoon version of Dungeons and Dragons. Dungeon Master with his white hair and red cloak, was filled with mystery. I used to totally immerse myself in the adventures of a random group of people who were transported to a magical world by a roller coaster. My Dungeons and Dragons review is taking a look at the new Hollywood movie, ‘Honour Among Thieves’.
It first caught my attention when I saw the cast being interviewed on daytime TV. It was interesting to see a varied cast, including Rege-Jean Page from Bridgerton and the always funny but slightly arrogant Hugh Grant.
What’s It All About?
A gaggle of characters had been getting paid big bucks to steal things from unassuming rich people. Led by Edgin (Chris Pine), the group were about to do their last challenge when some of them were trapped in a chamber and taken off to jail.
Our story begins with Edgin and Holga (a feisty Michelle Rodriguez) pleading their innocence in some kind of monster court. Without giving too much away, they end up on an adventure together. High Grant’s character is no longer their ally and has, in fact, taken Edgin’s daughter to bring up as his own.
As you can imagine, there is a lot more to this but I don’t want to get into spoiler territory.
Things I liked
– The heart of the story was good. I felt the connection and warmth between the characters. You don’t always get that with an action movie.
– The storyline made sense and was a mix of adventure and comedy. I found lots of parts very funny due to the witty script.
– I actually came out wanting more. That is very rare for me when it comes to fantasy movies like this.
– The stunts were good and there was a good balance between drama and action. Not too much action but just enough.
A Few Considerations
– I felt there could be more dragons involved as they only popped up briefly.
– Where was the Dungeon Master? I was kind of looking forward to his bit.
– Although Rege’s character was important he was very much a guest. I would like to see his role embellished in future.
As a throwback to my youth I found myself wanting to try out this cheeky film. To be honest, I wasn’t sure what to expect. It is fair to say I was definitely pleasantly surprised.
I found the movie funny, entertaining and satisfying in terms of full circle story. My Dungeons and Dragons review covers some of the positives but there are many more. I would recommend having a look at this film if you get the chance.
If you like this kind of fantasy film you may also be interested in my The Last Of Us Review. This was another action drama that had me hooked. Please comment your thoughts and consider following my blog for future book, TV and film reviews.