Only the other day I was talking to a very kind lady who worked in Waterstones about the length of books. I had been looking for a shorter book to read between my meatier ones and thankfully her store currently had a section just for those books that are under 200 pages. We discussed the preference for short or long books and decided we both went through phases. Can you be a book lover and not have a favourite size?
Having considered this a bit more, I realised that friends of mine tend to lean towards one or the other. I have a colleague who reads long crime books one after another. They never seem to opt for short books and hardly ever step out of that particular genre.
Others read a mix of YA books and Tiktok recommendations, which also tend to be on the shorter side.
Benefits of reading shorter books:
– These stories tend to be straight-forward. No getting bogged down in side characters and sub-plots.
– Stories revolve around one or two key characters who you can immediately start getting to know. For example, The Cockroach explored a political character and his rise to power.
– Short books don’t always need chapters and if they do have them, then there are very few.
– You can get through these quicker and read more of a variety of books if they aren’t super long.
Benefits of longer books:
– Much more meat on the bones. Obviously.
– You really go deep into the world of the characters and their minds.
– Chapters break the novels into manageable chunks (almost like short stories).
– Storylines are fully developed and are able to explore full character arcs including side characters. Sometimes they go off on interesting tangents and explore related issues.
– Longer books are often great inspiration for movies.
What do you prefer?
Is your preference for short or long books? Are you someone who likes to finish a novella in one sitting or would rather enjoy a gritty novel over several months?
For me, I tend to do a bit of both. I am usually reading a 400 page book or two, whilst also dipping into a couple of well chosen novellas.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my latest blog post. Check out my recent book review of Frazzled by Ruby Wax and perhaps consider following my blog for future book and TV reviews as well as environmental articles.