Technology I Prefer
I originally wrote about this on my Medium site last year BUT it is still relevant today. I thought it would be interesting to share my opinion about iPads here on my main blog and encourage you to comment your own experiences with them. I hope that by the end of this you will know why iPads are so useful, or at least will have been persuaded that they have many positive attributes.
I cannot live without my iPad.
Well, maybe that was a slight exaggeration. Perhaps it should be more a case of:
I’d rather not live without an iPad.
Why not a laptop?
Laptops are so cumbersome and, in my experience, much more unreliable. I have to use a laptop for my job and it is forever freezing or losing work as I am half way through editing it. My friends find similar problems, with laptops that are relatively new as well as older ones.
With a laptop I am forever trying to find a plug socket as one minute it is saying 50% charged and then the next it’s flashing to warn me to charge it immediately. Maybe it is just me but I don’t think so.
Also laptops are fairly big and you need a good case to carry them around in. You can’t really use them wherever you want. Ideally they need a surface to sit on and you cannot just lay down with them on the sofa (not comfortably anyway).
IPads are better because…
– They are compact (mine is 12.9 inches long – big enough to watch a movie) which means they are light and easy to pick up with one hand.
– Waterproof. I am no expert but I have spilled drink on mine and got it wet in the rain before and a quick wipe down has returned it to normal again.
– You can slip them into a folding keyboard. The iPad case easily converts into a holder which means that you can use them like a keyboard, resting the iPad on any surface, or even on your knees.
– They rarely freeze and allow you to open multiple apps at a time. I can flick between a website, the Medium app and Unsplash very quickly and easily as I write.
– The video quality is very good. You can watch any streaming service on it in bed as well as enjoying Youtube and Tiktok videos readily. The camera is also very reliable and provides clear images for both photos and videos.
– There is a fair amount of storage within the device and you can always save your content to the cloud.
– The kindle app and Apple books app are great ways to consume fiction and always remember where you got up to in a book.
In A Nutshell
As a writer and reader, I spend a lot of time reading blogs, watching videos and editing texts. For me, the iPad Pro is my number one choice for most activities and I take it on holidays with me so I can keep up with the online world when I am away. I absolutely love it and most of my books and blogs are written on it. Please let me know what you think about iPads in the comments.